A little bit of context
I began working on EduKate in March 2020 during the beginning of covid when things began to shut down and started looking gloomy.. I folded my idea for a restaurant fundraiser app and thought live online educational and instructional courses were the way to go for the time being. EduKate's mission is to empower people through opportunities, uplift people in-between careers or looking to add to their resumes and connect communities through tutoring jobs.
I looked to begin my journey with building my product with my technical agency Technogency based in New York (www.technogency.com), but realized that I ran 66% short of funding for my 50k project. So I am now looking to friends, family, and old coworkers for support in funding my MVP app launch project.
But there’s a problem
51% of pre-K through 12th grade students reside in low-income households with income of less than $24,339 a year. Low-income students, in particular, are at risk of falling behind while learning from home if their parents are working and unable to pay for extra help
Covid will mimic the outcomes we saw from Hurricane Katrina which showed that children who missed just one single semester took an average of 2 years to catch up. Data shows that students who receive tutoring outperform their peers.
EduKate finds opportunity in the current corona virus work from home
workforce. The problem (and opportunity) also lies in the recurring undermotivated workforce, underconnected neighbors who are meeting less in the midst of the tech/social media boom, and opportunity loss in tutoring jobs that can be created with the existing demand of diverse skills that Americans possess.
EduKate pushes people to put their best skills, everyday practices and knowledge to employment- whether may be crocheting learned from their grandmother, calligraphy taught by their older sister or cooking taught by their father.
1.Easy to use app
2.Make good money (at higher rates than other gig economy jobs i.e. dogsitting, delivery driving)
3.Add to skill set and resume
4.Connect with community
- These factors should help EduKate to capture 10% of the $46.9 billion tutoring market in the U.S.
Here’s what we’re doing about it
I believe EduKate can change the tutoring market in the U.S. and globally.
My solution is to enter the market as the first scaled app for paid academic, fitness and lifestyle tutors and students. Main features include:
- Browse lessons- Browse lessons from tutors in academic, lifestyle , business and fitness categories. View lesson details tutor profiles
- RSVP/message– The student can send a lesson request to the tutor with the course date and time and chat with the tutor to discuss objectives and ask questions about how to prepare for class
- In-app video lesson – At time of the tutor lesson, attend lesson on in app or in person
- Make payment/ leave review – Make payment on platform and leave review of tutor afterwards. 15% processing fee is included in fee.
Additional features: Tutors can create lessons on the tutor app
Academic courses menu
Science courses menu
Tutoring request via message
You can join us
I need $33,500 total to fund my MVP app launch project with my technical agency partner Technogency. They have already committed 1/3 of the project cost (or $16,500) and I am looking to family and friends now to fund the rest of the 2/3 of the cost for the technical app launch project.
Here is a little explainer on my business model and financial projections for the app:
1. EduKate takes 15% of earnings made from all tutors’ sessions (including processing fees)
2. EduKate also earns revenue from in-app ads from tutors who choose to promote their services
*based on 40% active tutors x avg 3 lessons a month x $20/hour rate with 15% retainer fee from tutors’ income
I can't wait to launch my project and I can't wait to catch up with you all as you join me in my journey with EduKate.