For Magazine is a print publication sharing the stories of individuals who are taking action to improve the world *for* others.
Our second issue focuses on the theme of belonging – exploring how location and culture affect our sense of identity. In this moment of migration, political divisiveness, and constant connection, what are individuals around the world doing to help others find their own identity? What does it mean to belong? How do we find belonging?
Over 140 pages with 12 exclusive stories from Hong Kong, Jordan, France and more.
• Representative Rashida Tlaib, one of the first Muslim women elected to the United States Congress, opens up about her outspoken style of serving low-income urban communities.
• Sylvia Acevedo, CEO of Girl Scouts, talks to two teen scouts about the importance of girl-specific spaces and how they empower girls to become leaders with confidence and courage.
• Ana Laura Lopez, the activist and deportee who graces our cover, works to help others reintegrate into life in Mexico City after deportation from the United States.
• Courtney Barnes, a South African teen who started as a participant in a “surf therapy” group that offers mental and emotional support to impoverished and at-risk youth, and found it so compelling that she stayed on to become a coach.
• A special visual gallery showcasing photos by displaced Yazidi youth who fled the Islamic State in Iraq, using photography to tell their stories to the world, produced by the 100cameras project.
Full list of articles
Exploring broad themes of humanity through personal stories
We cover some of the biggest issues of our time – like migration, LGBTQIA+, religion, gender, aging and more – through the personal stories of extraordinary, everyday individuals who are already taking action on these issues to inspire our readers to take personal action too. We believe everyone can make a difference by helping others.
Help us fund printing and be the first to get a copy of Issue 2!
We are crowdfunding to cover the printing costs of our second issue as we aim to double our distribution for Issue 2. For is printed in Canada by Hemlock Printers (printer of Kinfolk, Eye on Design, and dozens of other high-quality mags) on premium paper utilizing post-consumer and FSC-certified pulp, and this issue features a special die-cut cover. Our first issue received broad praise and is carried by stockists in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
Pre-order the magazine and be one of the first to receive it when it ships in the fall. Get limited edition prints from the artists whose work is featured in the issue – one of the beautiful prints below, exclusive to our campaign, giclée printed on museum-quality rag paper with a lifespan of 200 years. Choose from the beautiful surfers of Cape Town by Marike Herselman in South Africa or the inspiring "Believe" from our cover story on Ana Laura Lopez by Celia Talbot Tobin in Mexico City.
Or choose one-of a kind earrings handcrafted by elders in the Nepal Ibasho community, which was featured in our first issue, For: Maturing. These are limited to 20 pairs, and each is unique (first-come, first choice – once your reward is confirmed, we will email you a photo of the ones still available).
Weekly VIP Reward
Each week, we will announce a package with a special limited edition reward – copies of the magazine with a print of a photo taken by displaced youth in the Khanke Village IDC displacement camp in Kurdistan, Iraq. In 2014, the Yazidi youth fled Islamic State fighters that invaded and destroyed their home in Sinjar, forcing them to make a treacherous and life-fearing, weeks-long escape to safety -- with thousands not surviving or being captured and forced into slavery. This spring, 100cameras worked with the youth, utilizing photography as a powerful tool for self-expression, processing, and feeling ownership in the stories of their individual lives and those of their communities. The full story with their photos will be in Issue 2. The $40 for the photo will fund lifeline supplies for the IDP camp where they reside. Only 10 of each print will be available here, announced here first, and on Instagram.
Photo by Goze, Age 10.
Her enthusiasm is contagious, she is all heart in every moment. Her images capture the nature and love of the human spirit as it resonates within her community.
A community of believers
A huge thank you to our growing community of contributors and supporters. You are highlighting, telling, amplifying and supporting positive stories. Just sharing personal experiences connects across cultures, builds empathy, and improves lives. Spread the positivity!