You know how we’re living in a world saturated with pretty things and perfectionism? Many of us have grown up within environments where there’s a lot of pressure to be the best—gotta ace the test, gotta cross that finish line, gotta make it all look flawless.
Betterish aims to shift that mentality. Through in-person workshops, creative events, and various forms of storytelling, this is a platform dedicated to exploring the small actions, experiences, and lessons that lead to bigger things. Because when we take the time to notice and reflect, it usually has a pretty powerful way of taking us to something better.
At the core of all betterish workshops and experiences, it's about slowing down and connecting more meaningfully to ourselves, the people around us, and often our life's work.
WHAT BETTERISH CURRENTLY OFFERS
Betterish is dedicated to sharing the in-between messy moments and the struggles it takes to get to the pretty stuff. At the root, all betterish experiences are about human connection and community engagement.
WORKSHOPS + CLASSES
- Zine Workshop For Businesses: Participants learn how to market their business in a way that shares their story and their uniqueness. They dive deep into a workshop that provides clarity on who they are as a business, why they do what they do in a compelling way, and all around gets customers excited about what they have to offer.
- Zine Workshop for Students: Students create a step-by-step guide to something they personally feel passionate about (favorites thus far include: “How to Make a Kale Salad” or "How to Care For A Hedgehog" and "How To Have The Best Summer Ever"). Each participant has the opportunity to make 5 copies of their mini zine to keep, trade, and share.
- Kindness Craft Collective: The Kindness Craft Collective is for anyone who wants to show up and make kindness a more contagious, courageous sorta thing. Those interested in booking one of these workshops can choose from a series of projects dedicated to producing handmade crafts that spread everyday empathy and delight in their community & beyond. Project examples include: creating a deck of Kindness Cards, printing Positive Patches or hosting a Snail Mail Social.
- Flow + Dough: Together with Rebel Bread, Betterish hosts an hour of power yoga practice in the park, followed by a picnic of fresh bread and jams.
PROJECTS & EVENTS
- The Meet Cart: The Meet Cart is a mobile structure that actively invites strangers to engage with one another through a series of simple games + prompts. Geared to pop up anywhere from the first day of school to your local neighborhood bar, participants are encouraged to meet, greet & play.
- Pop Up Printmaking: Betterish pops up at events in libraries, festivals and community spaces offering free drop-in printmaking experiences with designs that promote positivity and empowerment, i.e. "you are a mighty bloom" and "make it a yay day."
- Event Consulting & DIY Design: Betterish works with organizations specifically to create simple interactive elements that provide opportunities for people to connect with one another in more meaningful and engaging ways.
- The Betterish Blog: With an emphasis on honoring the merriest to the messiest, the stories found here are about celebrating daily whims, unexpected whirls, and giving more credit to what might appear ordinary and mundane. Betterish invites guests to share how they are "doing it betterish"--- the content of these stories varies quite vastly, but all have the common thread of betterment in some shape or form.
WHAT BETTERISH WANTS TO OFFER IN THE FUTURE:
- Creative experiences for corporate offices, startups + tech companies: Betterish is ready to shake up a team meeting with a community building experience whether that means rolling in The Meet Cart or designing a creative project that's in line with the company's mission & goals.
- Workshops at colleges and universities: "How to Do Your Freshmen Year Betterish" and a "D.I.Y. YOUR DORM ROOM" are workshops on the horizon.
- A "core workout" series - A course focused on doing the inner work that connects us to our truer than true selves: exploring our values, our truth and what's good for our well-being. The key to it all: it's less about working out and more working in.
- Digital downloadable content. One page, graphically & informationally inspiring content that boots the betterish mindset with .pdf's that include "How To Make Your Mornings Betterish," "How To Budget Betterishly," and "How To Manage Time Betterishly."
WHY IS DOING IT BETTERISH SO IMPORTANT?
We're living in a time of great disconnect and divide. We're attached to our phones, rely on our iPads, and request a lot from our Alexa's. We're constantly being bombarded with content. Content of heavy things, beautiful things; lots and lots of things. We're always ON, yet at the same time disengaged with the people directly next to us. This kind of disconnect and divide results in feelings of stress, anxiety, a tendency towards comparison, and a great sense of overwhelmingness.
Betterish exists to close this divide through hands-on experiences that promote betterment.
It's about getting messy.
It's about making space for vulnerability and exploring possibilities.
It's about uplifting other people's voices (fun fact: betterish actually started solely as a blog where I invited a wide range of people to share their stories to betterment).
It's about nourishing curiosity.
It's about finding a little more fun in the process.
And ultimately: it's about acknowledging the little things that make a bigger impact.
SO...WHY CROWDFUNDING + WHAT'S THE MONEY FOR?
All of the work I have ever done has been in community and for community. This work is so important that I want to do it with the communities that raised me, taught me, co-created with me, and those who are on board to help grow this with me. Funding secured through this campaign will be used to build out the content and curriculum so that it can spread into the hearts & hands of more people, as well as providing the resources to pay others to help formalize this work. Additional funding is needed for workshop materials, supplies, a space for me to work and collaborate with others, marketing, as well as taxes + fees.
ABOUT EMILY HOPE DOBKIN
The brains behind betterish is Emily Hope Dobkin. For 10 years, Emily has produced and managed creative programs in various settings across the country: after-school activities, summer camps, galleries, libraries, marketplaces and museums. In all of these places, she’s designed community building experiences that nurture curiosity, encourage social bridging and fuel empowerment. She’s now taking that work to broader audiences and different kinds of venues using this betterish mindset. Emily considers herself an “experience maker & collaborative doer” and is dedicated to designing workshops & projects for places that value making more meaningful connections
THANK YOU, THANK YOU + A BAZILLION MORE THANK YOU'S