We founded SecondAct|Women to rewrite the social narrative that women 40 & 50+ are past their prime. Nothing could be farther from the truth. We've been pushed aside in corporate America, have been underfunded in business, and are told we're 'too old' to live life in full color. Well, founders Barbara Brooks (53) and Guadalupe Hirt (46) refuse to believe the lies. Full stop.
SecondAct|Women is an IRL and virtual community of fearless women 40 and beyond. Built by women for women, we serve as your resource hub and support system. We're here to spur your careers, business ventures, and big ideas as women in #middlescence so that you can design your future -- at any age. #40isnew40 #50isnew50 #60isnew60
ReWriting who we are as women 40 & 50+
Founders, Barbara, 53 and Guadalupe, 46
The problem for women 40 & 50+
We're steadily losing the opportunity to stay in the workplace, get hired, pivot careers, and receive funding or assistance to startup and grow our companies. There's a systemic and deep-seated notion that as we age, we no longer have value. Can you relate?
Together, we can change these stats and take back our narrative:
Our solution for women 40 & 50+
We launched SecondAct|Women to power-up and embolden women 40, 50 and beyond to own their future, in spite of the ageist bias that looms in society and corporate America. We partner up with industry experts, influencers and real women to curate a collection of professional- and self-development workshops, conferences, resources, and on-demand content to encourage you to upskill, connect and ReWrite your own future. You got this girl and we got you!
ReDiscovering our purpose as 40 & 50+ women
Denver Startup Week at the Capital One Cafe.
In the United States, women 40 & 50+ are nearly 53 million strong. Our community is a mix of entrepreneurs, corporate professionals, C-level executives, mompreneurs, sidepreneurs, government officials, women that simply want to connect with other awesome women, and the list goes on.
We're a diverse group of real women interconnected not by profession, gender or ethnicity, but rather by our age - something that to date has been a taboo to own. No more. Time to own it.
Women in our group find themselves in one of three stages:
1. Women seeking career development and shift. This group wishes to pursue a new career and/or start a new job or has been laid off and is in transition.
2. Women business owners or startup entrepreneurs. This group feels they are more capable than what their former employer recognized and/or hiring managers to glean from their resumes. They also seek more flexibility and are driven to start a passion-driven venture.
3. Women seeking to belong and connect. This group values kinship and understands the importance of women supporting women as they go through career, life, and friendships.
ReBooting our careers and lives as women 40 & 50+
Similar to adolescence, middlescence is a time of immense growth, exploration, change, and re-assertion. While some may call it a mid-life crisis, we prefer mid-life quest. With that perspective in mind, SecondAct|Women is your guide to living and embracing life on your terms and celebrating the beauty, savvy, experiences, and power that only comes with age.
But even the most fabulous female can benefit from a workshop to upskill, a social to make new friends, a conference to learn and a community that always has her back.
Workshops, virtual events & more
We host/will host with funding:
- BizLifeCon conferences with business, career and life tracks in Denver twice a year
- Workshops that cover topics from leveling up in corporate, raising capital, and financial planning for startups to aging in America, health after 40, and adult caregiving
- Roundtable discussions packed with short bursts of knowledge and insights on business and life
- Masterminds and hack-a-thons to help you see and problem solve from different angles
- Fireside chats about real, uncensored topics we should be talking about
- Mobile app so you can get your fix anywhere, anytime
- Signature events like #employ4050, weekend retreats, 40 Over 40 gala because everybody loves a good social
BizLifeCon, held biannually in Denver, Colorado is the nation’s first business and lifestyle conference for women 40 & 50+ by women 40 & 50+. The two-day conference provides workshops, roundtable discussions, one-on-one coaching, mimosas, pop up salons, socials and a whole lot more.
Buy your BizLifeCon3 for June 12 & 13. Oh, wait, you won't need to if you fund us at certain levels!
Here's a sneak peek at some of the sessions on the agenda...
- Startup. It's your time to be the boss
- Living with mental health
- Ageism at work and what to do about it
- Trademarking and business operations
- Write a book - you've got a story to tell
- How to pivot into your next career
- Business and tech hacks 101
- Growth hacking
- Becoming a speaker
- Caregiving 201
- Start a podcast
- Grow your YouTube channel
- Organization - get your s*#t in order
InsidersClub: If you're like us, more is always better. We launched InsidersClub in January 2020 to give you fabulous women 40 & 50+ an IRL and virtual club community chock full of on-demand programs, career resources, socials, and a host of freebies and special perks to boot. $180/year founding members.
- Monthly in-person and online workshops, sessions and resources covering career development, business ownership, self-care, health, relationships and more - led mostly by women over 40 who are experts in their fields (ave value: $360)
- Mastermind groups and meetups (invaluable)
- BizLifeCon discount w/ reserved seating ($69 savings)
- 15 free passes to WorkAbility co-working in Denver (value: $262.50)
- Company listing on the SecondAct|Women website
- Quarterly social outings to connect with other members
- Downloadable templates, worksheets and planning docs
- On-demand video content with conference and session recordings
- Blog contributions and potential to lead a workshop*
- Discounts, freebies or swag by partners
- Founding member status/badge for first 500
- $180 forever annual fee for first 500 members
- #ageless graphic tee (value: $25)
- Entree to a community of amazing, badass women like you
- Additional days at WorkAbility co-working - last Friday of the month, spend the day working from the InsidersClub|House (value: 192.50)
But the bang for your buck doesn't stop there. The SecondAct|Women4W (Women for Women) scholarship program is an opportunity to underwrite a membership for women in the community who meet specific socioeconomic needs. For every four (4) memberships purchased, we'll fully fund one (1) annual membership to a deserving applicant. So go ahead, join the club and help us help others.
ReTooling our mission to reach more women 40 & 50+
Funds raised will be used to build out SecondAct|Women’s infrastructure to support scalable growth and serve more women like you. We want to replicate the thriving SecondAct|Women community we've built in Denver and bring it to major cities nationwide. Next on the docket is to launch a career-focused conference to help you polish up your interviewing and job search skills while making connections with companies that recognize our value and truly want to hire us. So help us help you!
#womensupportingwomen #yousupportingyou #mensupportingwomen #secondact #ageless #fierceover40 #fierceover50 #fierceover60
The Founders | #53isnew53 and #46isnew46
Helen Richardson, Denver Post Photographer
Barbara Brooks, 53, is a 29-year marketing and PR corporate businesswoman turned three-time entrepreneur, advisor, speaker, and moderator. Graduate of Colorado State University.
Guadalupe Hirt, 46, is a 24-year public relations entrepreneur turned associate producer, author, and co-founder of SecondAct|Women. Graduate of Santa Clara University
Join the conversation in our private Facebook group for womxn 40 & 50+.