Melanin Minds Matter is a school-based mental health and wellness program based in Houston, Tx. Our mission is to improve the self-esteem, self-acceptance and self-awareness of young girls of color in preparation for a fulfilling adulthood.
Here’s the problem: Black and brown girls are less likely to receive mental health resources in their communities due to persistent stigma, lack of resources, decrease accessibility, racism and discrimination. Statistics show that minorities have an increased risk of unmet mental health needs, resulting in a larger loss of their global health and productivity as compared to their white counterparts. So what happens to those individuals who are unable to receive the mental health services they need?
1. Decrease in academic success
2. Decrease in interpersonal skills and relationship building
3. Poor ability to identify mental health concerns and utilize healthy coping skills
Melanin Minds Matter solves this problem by providing a holistic solution that:
1. Provides a mental health and wellness program integrated within the school system to address mental health concerns that may impact academic success
2. Provides education on appropriate and healthy communication for improved peer-to-peer relationships and that with staff/teachers/guardians
3. Provides education on various mental health illnesses and topics to decrease stigma and foster empowerment. In addition, we provide healthy coping skills, interventions and resources to fully support participants
Melanin Minds Matter is for school-aged, black and brown girls as they are typically underserved. We tailor our program for elementary to high-school students. The Melanin Minds Matter team is uniquely qualified. We are made up of an occupational therapist, licensed professional counselor, licensed psychologist, social worker and social justice advocate. We are all black women who understand the importance of mental health in our community and how it impacts an individual’s personal, academic and professional life. We have a passion for assisting girls in creating a more self-aware and empowered life.
Although there is a desperate need for our services, unfortunately, many of our prospect participants attend schools that do not have the budget to support our program. This is why we are seeking $5,595 to launch our program into three schools for up to 20 participants each. All funding will go towards program materials, merchandise and support of the facilitators.
We have some really cool, fun rewards for you to take part in on our campaign page below! We are offering Melanin Mind Matter merchandise and personalized appreciation gifts. Thank you so much for your support in helping Melanin Minds Matter grown into a successful non-profit that promotes mentally healthy girls in the Houston and surrounding area!