GRLSQUASH is a Boston-based biannual journal about the intersections among food, art, and culture.
- Our mission is to highlight the overlaps between these worlds with words, images, and recipes from our contributors. We promise to always empower, support, and amplify members of the GRLSQUASH community. We believe in nourishing the mind, belly, and soul for all, with an emphasis on the underrepresented: those who identify as womxn, femme, queer, gender non-conforming, agender, or trans, especially POC, under the GRL umbrella.
- We provide a platform to uplift otherwise marginalized voices across the food and art worlds. We're dedicated to creating space — both in indie publishing and in our physical communities — for celebrating womxn-identifying people. We integrate non-profit partnerships into our business model by donating a portion of issue sales or event ticket proceeds to local or national non-profits twice a year.
- Since our launch in April 2018, our Instagram following has grown organically to over 6,000 followers; we've published the work of over 70 individuals; we are now carried by over 30 brick-and-mortar retail spaces in nine states; we send out a monthly newsletter with almost 500 recipients; and we are regularly involved in food conference, book fairs, and art festivals across the country.
- Our twice-yearly publication is between 90-120 pages, featuring approximately 50 different womxn-identifying contributors per issue. The publication is 5.5" x 8.5" printed in full color on matte paper — it's the perfect size for your backpack, purse, canvas tote, or even a large jacket pocket!
- We are seeking funding in order to print with Hemlock Printers (Kinfolk Magazine, Gather Journal), a printer that actively supports indie publications such as GRLSQUASH. Hemlock is known for the quality of their paper, attention to detail, and overall top notch work. Printing with Hemlock would mean elevating our contributors' work even further.
- GRLSQUASH was founded by Madison Trapkin and Jess Graham in April 2018, but quickly outgrew a two-person-team model. The GRLSQUASH Board is a dynamic group of GRLS dedicated to furthering the GRLSQUASH mission, currently comprised of nine individuals: Dahlia Snaiderman (Managing Copy Editor), Linni Kral (Editor-at-Large), Sam Dolph (Community Outreach Director), S. Maham Rizvi (Events & Editorial), Samantha Mangino (Communications Director), Frankie Concepcion (Digital Editor), Asha Dirshe (Recipe Editor), and Amy Larson (Sales & Marketing).
- Thank you for supporting the GRLS!