The Lovely Idea Company’s mission is to build community, spark creativity, and foster ideas through events, classes and cooperative working spaces.
We are opening FOUNDATIONS- a co-working and cooperation space in the spring of 2020 in North Jay, Maine. Foundations will provide a collaboration space along with resources and inspiration to community members. Resources include classes to inspire and inform, opportunities to focus on overall well-being and creativity and chances for connection.
The Lovely Idea Company
Owned and Created by Laura Seames, long time dreamer and super lovely idea creator
- B.A. in Mathematics from University of Maine at Farmington
- Studied Business and Accounting at Broward College
- Born and raised Mainer, proud of her Maine heritage
- Worked at the Washburn-Norlands Living History Center; a living history museum in Livermore Maine, where she:
- Designed marketing materials
- Planned and supervised events
- Ran the museum gift shop: including ordering, shop display design and sales
- Her superpowers include being a(n):
- Creative problem solver
- Service maniac and believer in the power of community
- Cheerleader for all
Foundations- The Location: 986 Main Street, North Jay, Maine
- 1300 square feet of space
- Community shared work and meeting space
- Commercial kitchen
- Meeting room
- Recording/Podcast Booth
- Members Only Innovation/Work space with snacks
- Shared Artist Space for Two Resident Artists
- Garage/Workshop- potential future ‘Maker’s Space’
- Outdoor Patio for al fresco working and creating
- Location. Location. Location.
- Across the street from the Jay Public Library
- 5 minute walk from Jay Post Office
- 5 minute walk to Whistle Stop Trail-14 mile trail that runs from Farmington to Jay
- 30 minute walk to North Jay White Granite Park with nature trail and gazebo
- University of Maine at Farmington… 10.7 miles
- Franklin Memorial Hospital… 7.4 miles
- Rumford Hospital… 21 miles
- Central Maine Community College… 30 miles
- Augusta… 32 miles
- Lewiston/Auburn… 32 miles
- We love to support local business
- Lots of collaboration with small business and solo entrepreneurs
- Featuring a member’s business each month including opportunities to host classes or seminars to fellow members
- Making a smaller footprint
- LED bulbs everywhere
- Reducing and reusing before thoughtfully using sustainable products
- The BIG Dream: going solar at Foundations
What We Need & What You Get
Foundations needs a little sprucing up, technology upgrades and basic operating costs for one year.
We are seeking $7,500 to get the doors open and community collaboration happening. Here is a break-down of what we are in need of;
We are remodeling the kitchen to qualify for a basic commercial kitchen license. This will allow us to support new food-based entrepreneurs, offer amazing cooking classes and host fabulous events.
As we grow, we will invest in technology and equipment that will support our membership. Upon opening we want to be able to meet the basic needs of our founding members.
Basic Operating Costs
Foundations wants to be open for a long time. In order to ensure we have time to grow we are setting aside a year’s worth of basic operating costs. These costs include high-speed internet, electricity, water/sewer, insurance and snow removal.
- $1,500->6 month lease in shared artists' studio as a resident artist, dependent on application approval
- $100 -> Private cooking class on how to make dumplings with Chef Sav
- $50 -> Become a Founding Member, lock in a discounted monthly rate as one of Foundations first supporters, lifetime rate as long as membership is maintained with continuous monthly payments
- $50->host one of your monthly/weekly/semi-annual group meeting at Foundations
- $25->5-pack of day passes: a 50% saving
- $1 or more-> Our eternal love and appreciation for supporting a small business get its start