Cimone Key Creative Studio is a multi-disciplinary design agency with a focus on branding and digital marketing. We have been in business for 6.5 years.
Our vision is to continue to build an authentically driven, diverse, and tight-knit world that keeps equity, culture, respect, honesty, and optimistic values at the center of it all.
Our goal is to expand to not only being a branding and digital marketing agency but a resource center that helps small minority-owned businesses thrive by offering them in-house branding and marketing services, private offices, mentorship, financial literacy, and more all in one place called CK Campus.
We thrive by giving back to the community and exposing our future generation who are underrepresented in S.T.E.A.M./S.T.E.A.M.
We have partnered up with HAK Innovation, a non-profit in Dallas, Texas, who has created S.T.E.M./S.T.E.A.M. programs and workshops for younger-aged children since 2019.
- Our mission is to provide a resource center for minority-owned emerging businesses and reimagine what the S.T.E.A.M. industry looks like for our future generation.
Problem & Solution:
- The path to entrepreneurship is certainly harder for people of color, but there are resources that can help. Minorities are carving out a successful niche in business, but starting a company still poses unique challenges if you’re a minority business owner. Minorities are driving the growth of entrepreneurship in this country. Yet, minority entrepreneurs are less likely to gain access to credit, which is a key predictor of a business's future success. According to Inc.com, in their Impact Report on their Black-Owned Business Resource Center, 77% of the Black Business Owners surveyed said they need emergency grants immediately. The lack of generational wealth combined with the challenges of Covid-19, and certain estimates project that more than 40% of Black businesses are in danger of closing forever.
- In addition, there is a need for collaborating with organizations that provide resources for minority-owned businesses, obtaining access to capital, and education on how to apply for funding. Ultimately, specialized advice, assistance on getting started, how to obtain finances, networking, and education would help to steer the pathway to success for minority entrepreneurs and business owners.
- There is a diversity gap in S.T.E.A.M.-related careers. In addition, unconscious bias hinders inclusive hiring and promotion practices in the workplace, increasing the diversity gap. Human beings often make automatic decisions based on their individual life experiences, cultural norms, and other factors that can have an impact on their future. As it pertains to children, according to Steamtruck.org, by teaching kids how to think critically, problem-solve and use creativity, the S.T.E.A.M. framework prepares students to work in fields that are poised for big growth. A report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects growth in S.T.E.M. and S.T.E.A.M.-related occupations of 8.8% between now and 2028, compared to 5.0% for non-S.T.E.M. occupations. It also lists median annual wages of $84,880 for S.T.E.M./S.T.E.A.M. jobs, compared to $37,020 for all occupations.
- Diversity in S.T.E.A.M. Magazine cited that by 2021, 69% of U.S. executives expect to choose job candidates with data science skills over those without. However, according to a 2021 Pew Research Center article, for example, Black workers make up 11% of total employment across all occupations but only 9% of S.T.E.A.M. fields, and only 5% when looking at fields like engineering or 7% for computer occupations. The students best prepared to fill these roles and find success after graduating high school will be those who experience meaningful S.T.E.M. engagement opportunities throughout their K-12 years. While kids as young as two use S.T.E.A.M. skills on a daily basis, whether it be through building blocks or collaborating through play, only a small percentage of U.S. students are being exposed to an effective S.T.E.M./S.T.E.A.M. education at an early age. In fact, according to a study by Microsoft:
4 in 5 S.T.E.M. college students (78%) said they decided to study S.T.E.M. in high school or earlier
1 in 5 (21%) decided in middle school or earlier.
Only 1 in 5 S.T.E.M. college students feel that their K–12 education prepared them extremely well for their college courses in S.T.E.M.
In short, a lack of exposure to opportunities in S.T.E.A.M. Education decreases the chances for diversity in education, the workforce, higher-paying salaries, and more equitable experiences for minority communities.
- According to the report, 24.12 percent of startups in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area are minority-owned, the ninth-highest percentage in the country. (https://fortworth.culturemap.com/)
- Only 7 percent are African-American people in S.T.E.A.M., which can be increased by exposure and showcasing a role model
Company/Product And How Does it Solve The Problem:
- We are CK Campus, a state-of-the-art resource center designed to meet the needs of entrepreneurs, business owners, and students. We provide access to financial support, business guidance, mentorship, financial literacy resources, access to accelerator programs, and a laboratory for S.T.E.A.M. classes to promote and expose the industry to the future generation; we are also home to a minority-owned market shop to increase visibility and sales for business owners. Exposure to our programs and services will significantly increase opportunities for advancement and achievement, specifically for historically underserved populations. Opening Fall 2023.
Use of Funds:
- (20%) The funds will go towards a deposit for the building
- (60%)Hiring four people:
- A sales representative
- A community manager
- A marketing director
- An operations manager
- (10%) Build-out the café
- (10%) Build-out of the "Black-Market" shop. The Black-Market shop is a destination for family, fun, and entertainment. We are aiming to increase the size and number of minority and women-owned businesses throughout the DFW area. This new retail experience fosters operational excellence in areas such as product offerings, systems utilization, presentation, and customer service. acceleration, marketing, and advertising.
Who is on The CK Creative Studio's Team:
- The Founder, Cimone Key (executive creative director)
- Two graphic designers
- An administrative assistant/personal assistant
- Project manager
- Over 40 subcontractors globally
- Marketing Intern
Thank you so much for your support and efforts in making this come alive. We wouldn't have been able to do this without you.
Learn about ck creative studio.