Peds Purpose is an innovative healthcare company that aims to increase access to pediatric care, by leveraging technology to provide telemedicine in schools.
Childhood illness is a significant contributor to missed school days. When children are sent home from school, or stay home from school, parents often miss work to care for them. Scheduling a pediatric doctor's appointment during a time convenient for work and school schedules can also be a challenge for families. Most schools have a nurse who can address minor health concerns, but very few schools have a healthcare provider or clinic on-site to address more involved pediatric complaints such as ear pain, rashes, or pink eye.
Currently, we have 3 schools in Camden, NJ in the pilot phase of the telemedicine program. As we expand and grow, we will include more schools in New Jersey. There are approximately 2,000 elementary schools in New Jersey, serving about 1.4 million students, so there is great potential for growth. We have plans to expand the telemedicine program to schools in other states in the future.
By providing access to board-certified pediatricians, using video conferencing technology, children with ear pain, pink eye, rashes, or sore throat can be evaluated, diagnosed and treated without being sent home from school. Parents will be able to pick up prescribed medications after work and start their child's treatment sooner.
· Parents are able to avoid urgent care and ER waiting rooms.
· Primary care physicians are kept in the loop with an after-visit summary that is sent after every encounter
· Children return to school sooner, in most cases after 24 hours on the appropriate treatment regimen
· School nurses have additional support from Pediatric providers
What will the crowdfunded money be used for?
- Purchasing additional telemedicine equipment. We provide the equipment to the schools so that cost is not a barrier to a school's participation.
- Electronic medical record (EMR). Parents will have access to their child’s visit notes through an online patient portal.
- Credentialing Pediatricians.
- Training school nurses.
- Marketing and education materials for parents to increase awareness about the program.
Where do we go from here?
We could not have imagined how coronavirus would derail our lives and shut down schools. But, as the saying goes, “every setback is a setup for a comeback”. We are using this time as preparation and we look forward to relaunching in the fall, as schools reopen.
Thank you for supporting this campaign. I am so grateful for everyone who is contributing, offering well wishes, and sharing the campaign to help me expand telemedicine services to more schools.