The Book Report Project
The Book Report Project is a literacy initiative by Cultured Books, a multicultural children's bookstore located in sunny St. Petersburg, FL. Built as a fund, it removes the financial barrier to accessing books by allowing youth to purchase books with alternative currency; a book report!
Remove financial barriers preventing access to books.
According to the School Library Journal the average cost of a children's book is $18.69 (Staff, 2018). Through community contributions and partnerships funds are raised for the purchase of new, diverse + inclusive books. Since our summer launch we have raised $4660! (commUNITY!)
Nurture a reading culture.
80% of Florida children from low income families are not proficient readers by 3rd grade. Culturally responsive literacy practices are vital for the academic achievement of socio-culturally diverse learners. Youth are more inclined to read what interests them. At Cultured Books our books are curated to affirm and broaden worldviews.
How The Book Report Project works.
- Interested youth are given an initial survey.
- In exchange for completion of the survey students are able to select (1) one book to keep.
- Youth will read their chosen book then create a book report.
- The format of the book report is accessible to all learning styles and abilities.
- Youth will turn in their book report in exchange for a new book. If a book title is not currently stocked, youth will have the ability to order.
- In the event that a book needs to be ordered the reader will write a shelf talker to cover the cost of shipping.
The cost of books purchased with book reports are covered by The Book Report Project fund. (how many books can we fit in one sentence?)
Researcher for hire?
The Book Report Project wouldn't exist without our community. We plan to accept book reports as a standing form of currency at Cultured Books. In order to do this we need to show the impact it has on elevating literacy rates.
We are seeking funding to hire a researcher. Our dream researcher would be one who identifies as Black and IPOC, has an understanding of Critical Race Theory as it relates to education + literacy and loves humidity.:)
Breakdown of Project Cost.
$4K | Research Equipment: Software, (1) Camera, (3) Laptops,
$24K | 46 Weeks Salary for Researcher + (2) Research Assistants
$2K | Materials & Supplies + Cost of Publication
Thank you in advance for visiting our campaign page!
Peace, Love + Books!
Lorielle J. Hollaway