Women of color around the world find themselves constantly being forgotten, ridiculed, and down right copied by the beauty industry. Thanks to successful launches such as Fenty beauty, today’s women are both on the hunt for and demanding more inclusion from brands they know and love. With that in mind we came up with the concept of a Sephora like beauty hub for people of color. A beauty space created by those of color, made up of brands that cater specifically to people of color.
Melapop is a space for those who long for representation in the beauty space. It’s a space created solely with creativity and education in mind and fills a gap addressed by no other beauty store in the US. We’re building a space where brown beauty is celebrated and innovation is recognized.
We believe in the inclusion and empowerment of people of color. Melapop is interested in likeminded investors who can help us make our idea, space, and community bigger. We believe finding investors who share our values and believe in our vision is a core part of our future growth and success.
All brands inside of Melapop will be at least 50% brown owned.
At the core of our business is a scholarship model that offers in state tuition to those in the surrounding community who meet specific socioeconomic needs and are interested in either two-year, four year, or cosmetology/ esthetician programs. Every year we'll fund three full scholarships.
SPECIFICS OF MELAPOP:
WHAT WE OFFER
Melapop is a beautifully-designed, modern space where beauty and technology collide. Melapop will be offering beauty and incubation services tailored to people of color, making it easy for them to be their best selves. Our innovative business model focusses on both beauty and creativity. The core of our business is made up of four main components:
- Retail ~ the option to shop instore during normal business hours or 24/7 online at melapop.co
- Incubation ~ We are proud to offer brands the chance to have specific beta launches and products be featured in store. The idea behind this is to allow brands the chance to showcase products in a space where they can both reach their target demo and get direct and constant feed- back from their target audiences.
- Events ~ This is where education and play meet, we will offer various events based off of customer interest. Customers will also have the chance to host their own in-store private events.
- Marketing and Studio Space ~ Want to host a gallery opening, book signing, or gathering of sorts? Or just want to rent out studio space for a shoot? We've got you covered! Melapop has a partnership with a marketing agency that allows us to offer heavily discounted digital marketing and content creation services for emerging beauty and fashion brands. Additionally, all physical locations will offer a studio space for content creators in the community to host beauty inspired shoots with their clients.
We're creating a physical space where the community can learn, play, and create. The physical location will include:
- Cozy, luxe furnishings conducive to work and play.
- A beauty space outfitted with products for every skin and hair type.
- A spa for customers to relax, and enjoy custom facials, waxing, and skin services.
- A salon for customers to enjoy hair specific services and classes.
- A private studio ideal for content creation, and shoots. The studio will already be fully equipped.
Our amenities range from the stuff that makes you look and feel amazing, along with recharged, relaxed, and prepared. We will have beauty bars with product for all hair and skin types. No seriously, ALL types. A spa area specifically for skin services. Salon services provided by professionals equipped to do both natural and relaxed hair. with Blow dryers, Straighteners and all the other supplies to help you feel 100. Studio spaces for all of your creative ventures stocked to meet your needs.
Melapop offers services that make it easier for people of color to stay inspired and feel both empowered and celebrated. We've designed our services around representation, creativity, and the hope to change the current standard of beauty.
- Marketing services: Studio availability, digital marketing services, and Professional classes.
- Beauty services: Spa, Hair, and skin services with a focus of catering to people of color.
A rich calendar of classes and events featuring national and local personalities. Learning opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Our content calendar is filled with 3+ events per week including a mix of:
- Social mixers
- Empowering classes with a variety of focuses: Marketing strategies for brands and individuals, Skincare misconceptions, and live hair and cosmetic tutorials ect.. hosted by local and nationally known artists, entrepreneurs, dermatologist, and marketing specialist as featured speakers.
- Product launches
Customer Memberships and Rewards:
Melapop will offer two different memberships and one free rewards program.
Melapop will offer a free rewards program to customers that will allows you to earn points on every dollar spent on merchandise and beauty service purchases you will be able to redeem those points for rewards and money off future purchases.
- Points for every dollar spend on products, services, and at melapop.co
- Bonus points will be available through email and during in store events
- For every 800 points earned get a free service **limit one redemption per calendar year.
SKIN SPA MEMBERSHIP
SPA MEMBERSHIP ($2,074)
We're offering a limited number of Spa Memberships at a $2,074 flat rate. There are 150 Spa Memberships available only through iFundWomen. Early Membership with Melapop purchased through iFundWomen entitles you to:
- three beauty treatments per month for a complete year at no additional cost.
Choose from the following options:
- Chemical Peel (TCA or Glycolic)
- Acne Facial
- Pore cleansing Facial
- Customized European Facial
- Spa Back-cial
- Lash Tint
- Brow Tint
- Brow Wax
- Eyelash extensions
- Brightening treatment
- Body wax
- Laser Hair Removal
- Men's facial
- Dermaplaning Facial
- Peptide Facial
- Anti aging treatments
- 10% off all additional treatments throughout the year
- Receive two transferable free service vouchers for friends and family
- Access to three free classes for a full calendar year
STUDIO MEMBERSHIP ($2000/annual)
We're offering a limited number of Studio Memberships at a $500 discount off the normal annual rate. There are 100 Studio Memberships available only through iFundWomen. Once Founding Memberships are gone, standard memberships go back to $2,500 annually or the hourly non-membership option of $75/hr --- depending on the number of hours. Early Membership with Melapop purchased through iFundWomen includes full unlimited access to our Studio space and services during operating hours for a full year. The studio Memberships also come with perks like a free year of unlimited access to store curated events and base admission to all guest featured studio classes, events, and programming, the option to be apart of paid opportunities along with exclusive access to professional coaching workshops non-membership holders aren’t privy too.
- Cyclorama wall
- Studio Gear
- Pair of Profoto D1 Air monolights or continuous lighting for video
- Halo Lights
- Additional gear available for rent.
- 60 with chairs
- 40 with tables and chairs
- Canon WX6000 HD Projector, 5700 lumens
- Projection screen, 16x10 aspect ratio
- 8'x4' movable marker board
- In-ceiling speakers with amplifier
- Sound proof room
- Private access via electronic key card
- Large restroom (can be used for changing room)
- refrigerator, ice machine, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, table and bar seating
SPECIFICS OF MEMBERSHIP
Studio memberships give you complete access to the studio space for a complete year as well as all events scheduled in our space. Events and classes are arranged by Monthly theme and cover topics as wide and diverse as professional practices for profit. Our content calendar is filled with 3+ events per week including a mix of:
- Social mixers
- Local pop-up events
- Local and nationally known artists, entrepreneurs, creatives, and authors as featured speakers
- Professional workshops and classes with industry professionals
- Professional and local showcases
As a Studio member you can hold private classes and showcase for free as well as take private one on one classes with our instructors for a discounted “Friends and Family” rate.
As a Studio member of Melapop you are welcomed into an active community of POC creatives. We facilitate classes and events aligning creatives around shared interests and passions (e.g. photography, videography, artistry, starting your own business, looking to jump to the next stage of your career, etc..).
As a studio member you will get first access and invitations to our community events and groups prior to opening!
STUDIO MEMBER PAID OPPORTUNITIES: Melapop studio members who take advantage of the iFundWomen campaign membership price will have a chance to be a featured photographer in Melapop’s first partnered content creation pop up shop. Every chosen individual will be paid based on the project per project.
WHY CROWD FUNDING?
We explored many different paths to funding Melapop including traditional funding from VCs, investors, and banks. But at the end of the day those options don't reflect our mission of being built by the community, for the community. Nor do they value the same things we do: we're building Melapop because it's part of our life's work - we're not building it to scale it and sell it. We believe the power of Melapop lies with the community so we decided to turn to iFundWomen, a female dominated crowdfunding platform, to get the job done. Funds secured through our crowdfunding campaign will be used to build out our physical space, the most critical component of Melapop.
Melapop was founded by both Starasia Abraham, a licensed esthetician and local beauty guru and Destin Sexton a marketing guru and content creator with a passion for education and resource. While each of them climbed the ranks to prominent leadership positions within their industries they came to the realization that the world they were trying to succeed in was not built for them, they then decided it was time to build their own. They are driven by a cause much larger than any one of us - to create an empowering creative beauty and creation hub for people of color in the community.