Stress. Life as a modern day parent is incredibly stressful. Parents are trying to juggle home and work, with very little support. Especially working mothers – who are the ones who tend to shoulder the added burden of child, parent and home care. What’s worse is that most are doing this alone, away from family and community. And reliable backup resources are hard to find.
This stress is driven by the daily “everything else”—the stuff that crops up related to child, elderly parent and home. The kind of stuff that simply can’t be ignored, or entrusted to just anyone. The planning of birthday parties, taking care of elderly parents, the organizing, coordinating, the pick-ups, the endless errands…
People could use some help with that.
NEED/DONE meets a working parent’s most urgent need: it gets them instant access to backup help they can trust, for child and home-related tasks. This help is peer-sourced and comes from people their friends use – so support they can trust. Unlike other on-demand platforms in the “Sharing Economy,” NEED/DONE leverages a parent’s own network to source this valuable task force. That’s our twist.
HOW IT WORKS
You join NEED/DONE by bringing in a trusted Go-to (can be a sitter, a dog-walker — anyone you trust with kid and home) and connecting with another parent friend. You now have access to each other’s Go-tos (except for the hours that Go-to has committed to you—we block those from view to keep them protected)!
You can use the app anytime to ask for help with anything from taking the kids to a museum (so you can finally take a nap,) to selling that old couch on Craigslist. And with each task, you select who you want the request to go out to—because every task might need something different. Maybe you only trust your friends’ Go-tos for babysitting, but can open it up to the extended network for more general stuff, like cleaning the gutter or putting a shelf together. You’ll get a notification when someone wants to help, and can hire them on the spot. It’s that easy!
And of course, the more you grow your NEED/DONE network by adding friends, the more support you have.
With NEED/DONE, parents get unprecedented access to the exact kind of support they trust; and they can access it all with the push of a button. The app is faster / streamlines and simplifies a process that normally takes them hours. Other awesome features include instantly rating Go-tos, paying through the system like Uber, and splitting requests with other parent users (nanny-share, anyone?).
HOW DO WE COMPARE WITH WHAT EXISTS IN THE MARKET?
Well, nothing comes close. Most fall short on either convenience or trust. Even our biggest competitors. For our competitors, “trusted help” means company-vetted strangers. For us, it means the people your parent friends recommend and use themselves.
NEED/DONE provides truly trusted help, at the push of a button. We’re actually a hybrid of a sitter app like Care.com, and Taskrabbit—with the ability to serve both kid and home needs with the same trusted task force.
Our team’s experience as parents and professionals gives us a clear advantage.
CEO and Co-founder, Leslie Walker has 20+ years of experience across technology, branding and management; she manages the NEED/DONE team & and is responsible for developing both product and brand. She’s a globally recognized and award-winning digital and marketing executive who’s created campaigns for Nike, VW and products for Google and Coca-Cola that speak to millennials and women the world over.
Co-founder Rachael Ellison, professional consultant, has 7+ years of experience consulting for major corporations on working parenthood and is a nationally recognized thought leader on the subject.
Karl Ackermann has 10+ years of experience designing innovative solutions for clients like Apple, and Google; he oversees the product development, and has worked with Leslie for the past 5 years on creative brand-led solutions that help people.
Alex Paparizou is an experienced freelance copy-editor and proofreader. She has also spent time on the supply side of on-demand cultures as a sitter and Taskrabbit worker; she runs day-to-day operations and gives us valuable insight into the Go-to provider’s experience.
WHAT WE’VE ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR:
A whole lot.
- We ran a pilot last year, facilitating 75 completed tasks in two weeks, operating out of NEED/DONE HQ—Leslie’s kitchen, Brooklyn NY.
- Our pilot group includes Fast Company and Working Mother Magazine editors
- We demoed, interviewed and signed-up users and Go-tos at NEED/DONE organized “Speed-Sitting” events in the area.
- We built out our US/India-based team, website, and demo.
- We have over 850 people on our sign-up list
- We’ve even had NPR affiliate, WNYC, air a 4-part podcast series on NEED/DONE this past August. (It’s called “Taking the Lead”; check it out!)
So now we’re ready for launch in Brooklyn.
WHAT WE NEED
We’re currently in the process of finalizing our MVP—a more automated, scalable version of our first effort— for our launch in Brooklyn. We will be migrating our beta group over and adding up to 250 more parent users to the network, alongside 250 of their recommended go-to sitters.
- $18,000 will allow us to finish the app for launch. We plan to launch it strategically in one of NY’s most densely parent-populated neighborhood, BoCoCa, Brooklyn, on January 1st, 2017. Otherwise, we won’t be able to launch for another 9 months—the beginning of the next 17/18 school term (greatest help needed during school term)—and lose valuable time and all the momentum built to-date.
- $32,000 will enable us to move operations into a better equipped space to give our dev team the resources needed to work 24/7 post launch to work out bugs and speed up implementing new features (like splitting payments with other parent users) to grow our user base.
- $50,000 helps us boost growth of our user base even further with an aggressive marketing campaign over the first five months post launch so we’re able to hit critical mass.
- $320,000 helps us firmly establish ourselves in our beachhead market (Brooklyn, NY) and secure key strategic partnerships which enable us to launch in our second market (greater NY, Boston, SF or LA) by 2018.
They say it takes a village… So we’re giving all stressed-out and sleep-deprived parents out there, their village back. We’re determined to create something that potentially disrupts the parent market AND provides relief to millions of parents worldwide.
And to pull this off, we need your help.
10/30/2016NEED/DONE: Monetary Contribution With No Reward$11.00
10/30/2016NEED/DONE: Monetary Contribution With No Reward$500.00
10/30/2016NEED/DONE: THE ESSENTIAL WORK/LIFE BALANCE SURVIVAL PACK$500.00
10/31/2016NEED/DONE: Monetary Contribution With No Reward$25.00
10/31/2016NEED/DONE: SPONSOR A DAY OFF FOR WILFRED$2,000.00
11/02/2016NEED/DONE: OUR TINY CAVALRY TO THE RESCUE PACK$20.00
11/02/2016NEED/DONE: Monetary Contribution With No Reward$25.00
11/02/2016NEED/DONE: Monetary Contribution With No Reward$10.00
11/02/2016NEED/DONE: Monetary Contribution With No Reward$1.00
11/02/2016NEED/DONE: THE OFFICIAL GET SH*T DONE KIT$250.00